00:00:01  * ircretaryquit (Remote host closed the connection)
00:00:03  <st_luke>mbalho: I've had to put taco conf east on the backburner for a little bit because I can't really do it until my LLC filing finishes
00:00:08  <jesusabdullah>also ubuntu uses upstart but fedora uses systemd
00:00:11  * ircretaryjoined
00:00:12  * mikealquit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
00:00:20  <mbalho>st_luke: im organizing the west coast one since mikeal is hella busy now
00:00:35  <mbalho>st_luke: so pretty much anytime between now and september works for me
00:00:36  <dominictarr>I'm also kinda like: wtf is this "download App" nonsense
00:01:00  <dominictarr>linux has taught me to demand a package manager
00:01:18  <mbalho>dominictarr: the mac app store is a package manager
00:01:21  <st_luke>mbalho: i wanted to do late spring for the brooklyn one cause of how hot it gets in nyc summertime but i think its gonna end up happening in summer now cause of the delay
00:01:44  <mbalho>st_luke: ahh, well keep me posted on when you think a workable date is
00:01:49  <mbalho>st_luke: no rush though
00:01:57  <st_luke>mbalho: yeah will do, as soon as the llc stuff finishes im gonna get moving on it
00:02:01  <st_luke>just dont want to do it without insurance
00:02:10  <mbalho>st_luke: word
00:02:10  <jesusabdullah>technically msi's are packages and windows has a package manager
00:02:22  <st_luke>cause if someone gets hit by a car on a bike at something im running id be totally fucked
00:02:22  <mbalho>st_luke: i want all the talks this year to be inside the taco spots (west coast at least)
00:02:26  <mbalho>hehe
00:02:27  <jesusabdullah>but the killer features are central repo and dependency resolution
00:02:43  <dominictarr>mbalho: yeah, but it's not the same
00:02:57  <mbalho>dominictarr: but the quality is arguably way higher
00:02:58  <dominictarr>I mean, fine for most people
00:02:59  <jesusabdullah>slackware has a central repo but, at least years and years ago, didn't have dependency management
00:02:59  <mbalho>dominictarr: so its a tradeoff
00:03:37  <dominictarr>npm is the best package manager
00:03:40  <dominictarr>no argument
00:04:03  <dominictarr>all the other package managers gotta recognize
00:04:04  <mbalho>not the easiest to use though
00:04:05  <st_luke>mbalho: im gonna be talking to some sponsors so ill keep you posted on that as well. if i can get more money than needed for the event then ideally i can put the extra in a taco conf fund to be used for both coasts
00:04:12  <jesusabdullah>yeah close to it anyway
00:04:14  <mbalho>st_luke: sweet
00:04:48  <rvagg>st_luke: pong.. I assume you were trying to get my attention before for the discussion in #nodejitsu?
00:05:08  <st_luke>rvagg: nah, wasnt that
00:05:21  <st_luke>rvagg: it was about nodeup, do you want to talk about levelup & leveldb?
00:05:39  <rvagg>st_luke: do you have anyone else yet?
00:06:15  <mbalho>i wanna talk about leveldb
00:06:17  <rvagg>I can if need be, but dominictarr or Raynos may be better for the stuff that's building on top of levelup
00:06:21  <rvagg>or mbalho, of course!
00:06:29  <st_luke>rvagg: no, haven't lined up anyone else yet
00:06:49  <st_luke>how many people is too many for a podcast?
00:07:00  <rvagg>I can talk lower level stuff if that's interesting, but I think the more interesting stuff is going on ontop of it
00:07:04  <dominictarr>st_luke: oh oh oh me me me !
00:07:21  <mbalho>st_luke: cap it at 3
00:07:32  <st_luke>cause nodeup has a couple people of their own on every episode also
00:07:40  <st_luke>and then it gets hard to edit with a bunch of people talking, and the audio cuts out etc
00:07:50  <mbalho>i thought nodeup was just craig and he never talks
00:08:15  <rvagg>well dominictarr doesn't talk too much when he's on nodeup so he's an easy inclusion
00:08:18  <st_luke>mbalho: last one I listened to was like 4 or 5 people on it, not sure which of them are regulars but it sounded like at least a few were
00:08:24  <mbalho>ah
00:08:30  <st_luke>yeah dominictarr for sure
00:08:40  <jesusabdullah>yeah a library for extending gnome 3's search box would be cool all these providers share a lot of the same code
00:08:40  <rvagg>I imagine dshaw at least
00:09:05  <st_luke>i think he's just there for the sound effects mainly
00:09:08  <mbalho>hehe
00:09:14  <mbalho>fill in the low end
00:09:18  <rvagg>dshaw and mbalho should be able to hold it together, then you just need additions to flesh out the detail
00:10:11  <st_luke>https://gist.github.com/st-luke/5068950
00:10:46  <st_luke>then need like 4 or 5 topics as a guide, doesn't have to stick to it but things to branch off of if the discussion gets slow
00:10:54  <jesusabdullah>https://github.com/brot/gnome-shell-extension-sshsearch/blob/master/ssh-search-provider%40gnome-shell-extensions.brot.github.com/extension.js actually fairly well-written
00:13:30  <mbalho>commented on https://gist.github.com/st-luke/5068950 with some topic ideas
00:13:45  <jesusabdullah>oh hey guys question
00:13:59  <jesusabdullah>if I were to give a talk at a conference what would you like to hear me talk about?
00:14:00  <st_luke>rvagg: max is on the list already (forestwizard)
00:14:05  <jesusabdullah>cause I kinda know what things I want to talk about
00:14:12  <rvagg>ok, that's a new one on me.. forestwizard..
00:14:14  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: things that make you uncomfortable
00:14:19  <jesusabdullah>like?
00:14:22  <mbalho>rvagg: it was my alter ego on github for a while
00:14:24  <rvagg>I'm still trying to understand the 'balh' bit in mbalho
00:14:26  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: idk you tell me
00:14:30  <mbalho>rvagg: its my middle names
00:14:33  <jesusabdullah>brohonestly
00:14:36  <rvagg>you have 4 middle names?
00:14:43  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: i want to hear people talk about things at conferences that they don't normally get to say
00:14:57  <mbalho>rvagg: http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/9b6a8b2c025c11e28c8722000a1cdd09_7.jpg hippie parents
00:15:11  <st_luke>i kinda want to do a conference with 8 speakers that strongly disagree with some or all of the other speakers on a lot of things
00:15:12  <jesusabdullah>well
00:15:23  <jesusabdullah>"Dampen Your Code"
00:15:30  <rvagg>mbalho: holy moly, nice collection of names you have there!
00:15:36  <jesusabdullah>"it's okay to repeat yourself sometimes"
00:15:49  <jesusabdullah>that's actually an opinion I'm beginning to possibly hold
00:16:13  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: i think stories from the real world, especially from node, are interesting since the community is so young
00:16:14  <st_luke>actually wait the conference i just described would basically be former nodejitsu employees
00:16:21  <mbalho>lol
00:16:49  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: it seems like you might have accumulated some anecdotes from nodejitsu (maybe not though)
00:17:18  <st_luke>mbalho: i read your first 3 topics in the comment on my gist and was feeling kinda meh but then I read the next one haha
00:17:18  <jesusabdullah>oh yeah for sure, some of which I'm down to talk about
00:17:35  <rvagg>st_luke: oh yea, lev, talk about that, I reckon it has potential to become a popular tool way beyond the node community, I don't think there's anything else close to it for leveldb
00:17:49  <st_luke>rvagg: lev is super important imo
00:17:50  <jesusabdullah>I've been in India the last few months hacking on this new framework though, would be nice to talk about it a little but I like coming at these things from a certain angle y'know?
00:18:02  <mbalho>i havent used lev yet!
00:18:04  <jesusabdullah>Being like, "Let Me Tell You About My Framework", that's a shitty talk
00:18:16  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: agreed
00:18:17  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: yeah, those talks aren't necessarily anything special
00:18:23  <rvagg>jesusabdullah: but does Big use LevelDB? that's the important question
00:18:30  <st_luke>it can
00:18:41  <jesusabdullah>yeah totally
00:18:42  <st_luke>i like leveldb as something you design an entire app around
00:18:58  <jesusabdullah>the persistence api is backed by jugglingdb and there's probably a provider for leveldb
00:18:59  <st_luke>so it's not really the best thing currently for people that want the comforts that a framework provides
00:19:01  <jesusabdullah>if not you could write one
00:19:15  <jesusabdullah>or if you don't like that api maybe a leveldb resource, but the persistence api is fairly comprehensive
00:19:35  <jesusabdullah>and if none of that is your cup of tea just do it like normal, no promblem
00:20:09  * ins0mniajoined
00:20:10  <jesusabdullah>I could probably give a whole talk about the persistence, especially if I could talk about resourceful
00:20:58  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: talk about your travels
00:21:03  <ins0mnia>Object.defineProperty behaves differently on the browser?
00:21:04  <st_luke>and turn it into a metaphor
00:21:39  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: i think the best talks are about people and their experiences and what it means to them when they write software
00:21:52  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: just make it a good story
00:21:56  <jesusabdullah>My favorite thing about the whole run is that resource.define('creature') was there from the very beginning
00:22:07  <jesusabdullah>we have a creature resource now
00:22:23  <st_luke>honestly I just want a good story in a conference talk
00:22:50  <jesusabdullah>If I get this scotlandjs talk I'm gonna tell a story about what I learned about wsgi XD
00:22:57  <st_luke>that was one of the failures of empire imo
00:23:05  <jesusabdullah>empire?
00:23:09  <st_luke>js
00:23:25  <rvagg>ins0mnia: shouldn't do unless you're on old IE in which case it behaves not at all..
00:23:27  <mbalho>st_luke: yea all the talks at that conf
00:23:29  <jesusabdullah>I'm not aware of this? what do you mean st_luke ?
00:23:30  <mbalho>st_luke: SUCKED
00:23:34  <jesusabdullah>really? ouch dude
00:23:34  <mbalho>st_luke: haha just kidding
00:24:00  <st_luke>some of the google guys were complaining about the topics that weren't teaching them enough things
00:24:16  <ins0mnia>rvagg: strange, I'm on chrome.. hmmm ok thanks
00:24:16  <mbalho>st_luke: haha
00:24:29  <st_luke>at first i was kinda bothered
00:24:44  <st_luke>but then i was bothered that maybe they weren't making that complaint about all the talks
00:25:15  <mbalho>there were some pretty technical talks like domenics, ariyas, etc
00:25:18  <jesusabdullah>st_luke: you'd probably like the damp code talk proposal then, a lot of it is really about my experiences programming with marak
00:25:20  <st_luke>the experience is really all that matters
00:25:21  <jesusabdullah>lol
00:25:35  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: a talk about trolling marak would be great
00:25:49  <jesusabdullah>maybe a talk about the design decisions of big through the lens of dialogs in India
00:26:10  <jesusabdullah>I play Plato to Marak's Socrates
00:26:13  <st_luke>there were some pretty technical ones but i dont really think that deep technical talks are that important anymore
00:26:40  <st_luke>idunno, opinions lol
00:26:52  * yorickquit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
00:27:00  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
00:27:48  <st_luke>anyway thats why taco conf is the best conf format now
00:27:59  <st_luke>well and nodeconf
00:28:11  <jesusabdullah>when is tacoconf this year?
00:28:37  <st_luke>jesusabdullah: tbd, we were talking about doing both coasts on the same day
00:28:45  <jesusabdullah>I see
00:28:46  <substack>st_luke: I've never given a deep technical talk
00:28:48  <jesusabdullah>keep me in the loop
00:28:49  <defunctzombie>people have really wrong opinions about javascript and bundling
00:29:02  <defunctzombie>substack: how should I submit the range patch for detective?
00:29:02  <jesusabdullah>I have opinions on that\
00:29:14  <substack>I just trick people into thinking they got deep technical info but really they are just watching a theatrical presentation
00:29:19  <jesusabdullah>oh substack how do you customize the node built-ins shim with browserify?
00:29:25  <st_luke>substack: i was going to use the word theatre myself
00:29:29  <substack>defunctzombie: a range patch?
00:29:43  <jesusabdullah>substack: https://github.com/brot/gnome-shell-extension-sshsearch/blob/master/ssh-search-provider%40gnome-shell-extensions.brot.github.com/extension.js
00:29:48  <substack>jesusabdullah: the "browsers" field?
00:29:48  <defunctzombie>substack: https://github.com/shtylman/node-detective/commit/fa3cbe775ca4f3e2e4bf4e5b313aae699be7cd52
00:30:08  <jesusabdullah>substack: gnome shell is written on spidermonkey and gobject, I want to shim out some of the native stuff and use the bundling of browserify
00:30:14  <defunctzombie>substack: you need that line which removes range stuff
00:30:17  <st_luke>when i grew up i wanted to go to film school and make movies for a living, cant do that so the closest thing i can do is conferences
00:30:32  <defunctzombie>jesusabdullah: https://gist.github.com/shtylman/4339901
00:30:34  <st_luke>defunctzombie's talk at empire was great because he got into character haha
00:30:43  <jesusabdullah>substack: like, instead of `const Main = imports.ui.Main`
00:30:54  <defunctzombie>jesusabdullah: https://github.com/einaros/ws/blob/master/package.json#L32
00:30:57  <jesusabdullah>substack: var Main = require('ui').Main;
00:31:11  <defunctzombie>st_luke: :D
00:31:52  <jesusabdullah>I'll read those defunctzombie I don't think I want browser-specific code but maybe I'm wrong
00:31:56  <st_luke>does anyone keep in touch with RMS? I want to try to get him to speak
00:32:08  * ralphthe1injajoined
00:32:11  <jesusabdullah>defunctzombie: I want to do the same thing that require('fs') does in browserify basically, does that make sense?
00:32:15  <substack>st_luke: rms only gives really long boring talks about free software ideology
00:32:15  <jesusabdullah>defunctzombie: bbiaf
00:32:29  <st_luke>substack: but maybe he could come dressed up as st gnuicus
00:32:41  <defunctzombie>st_luke: DO NOT get rms
00:32:54  <defunctzombie>st_luke: he will just rant about useless shit that doesn't matter
00:33:02  <defunctzombie>and how it should be gnu/linux
00:33:14  <substack>jesusabdullah: the browsers field is what you want I think
00:33:19  <st_luke>defunctzombie: i think if i told him it wasn't a technical conference he might come up with something interesting
00:33:25  <st_luke>and imagine rms on a bicycle in brooklyn
00:33:28  <mbalho>lol
00:33:30  <st_luke>i mean thats a big if
00:33:46  <st_luke>he'd probably be like 'no thanks your food bike conference isnt open enough'
00:34:26  <st_luke>a couple years ago once a week at work i would call his office phone at mit because the voicemail greeting amused me
00:34:31  <st_luke>then one day he was there and picked up
00:34:34  <st_luke>was pretty awkward
00:35:09  <substack>jesusabdullah: there's also https://github.com/substack/node-browserify/pull/290#issuecomment-14005841
00:35:28  <defunctzombie>substack: the only part of that patch I wanted you to check out was the escodegen stuff that I do so you can have those nice error messages
00:35:35  <defunctzombie>substack: the other part is pretty straight forward
00:35:56  <substack>defunctzombie: yep I just discovered escodegen recently
00:35:58  <substack>makes sense
00:36:05  <defunctzombie>substack: cool
00:36:22  <defunctzombie>substack: this will adress the slowness somewhat in the issue you linked to jesusabdullah as well
00:36:29  <defunctzombie>the range stuff is very very slow
00:37:44  <defunctzombie>substack: I will pull request rebased on latest master
00:43:20  <st_luke>people at GA are having a steve jobs & apple conversation that makes me want to put a wooden stake through my head
00:44:37  <st_luke>wow its like the conversations that the people have in the sims but in english
00:44:44  <mbalho>lol
00:45:04  <jesusabdullah>Oh I see, that's a clever hack
00:45:08  <jesusabdullah>yeah that would totally work
00:47:36  <defunctzombie>people should realize that the browser field is the same thing sane people do when they build cross platform OS software
00:47:52  <defunctzombie>you move the common elements out and make "compat" files for the different "OS" layers you care about
00:48:05  <jesusabdullah>defunctzombie you're so sassy!
00:48:11  <defunctzombie>;)
00:50:14  <jesusabdullah>sub's second link is probs what I want
00:51:13  * mikealjoined
00:51:17  <jesusabdullah>yo mikeal
00:51:27  <mikeal>hey
00:52:27  <jesusabdullah>how's life? ltns
00:57:19  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: did you move to goa?
00:57:20  <defunctzombie>I still exist in the libreoffice source code! http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/unx/kde4/KDEXLib.cxx#n111
00:57:39  * st_lukequit (Remote host closed the connection)
00:57:48  <jesusabdullah>mbalho: for 3 months yeah
00:58:18  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: isnt that where people do hella X and dance naked on the beach? did you do that?
00:58:30  <jesusabdullah>I danced
00:58:33  <jesusabdullah>I was never naked
00:58:35  <mbalho>aw
00:58:47  <jesusabdullah>and I can't do molly even if i wanted to
00:58:50  <jesusabdullah>but yes that's the place
00:58:55  <jesusabdullah>fuckin' awesome actually
01:02:58  <mbalho>jesusabdullah: do they have a winter there?
01:04:54  <jesusabdullah>yeah kinda
01:04:59  <jesusabdullah>it's dry season and monsoon
01:05:07  <mbalho>ah crazy
01:05:13  <jesusabdullah>which are winter and summer but different expressions of such
01:08:23  * ins0mniaquit (Remote host closed the connection)
01:11:41  * mmckeggjoined
01:12:20  <defunctzombie>substack: pkrumins: testling field for package.json should have a way to say "all browsers" :) whahaha
01:16:01  <defunctzombie>I think I broke something: http://ci.testling.com/shtylman/qr.js
01:16:41  * st_lukejoined
01:17:53  * ins0mniajoined
01:18:12  <substack>defunctzombie: you're missing a devDependency for mocha
01:18:14  <substack>https://github.com/shtylman/qr.js/blob/master/package.json
01:18:22  <defunctzombie>cock
01:19:10  <defunctzombie>thx
01:19:47  <ins0mnia>substack: !!!
01:19:49  <defunctzombie>how do I give you guys money for testling?
01:20:52  <substack>oh right I need to build that
01:21:00  <ins0mnia>substack: thunderstore is alive! 55 lines of code!
01:21:06  <ins0mnia>https://github.com/1N50MN14/thunderstore
01:21:08  <substack>hooray!
01:21:16  <ins0mnia>:))
01:21:30  <defunctzombie>thunderstore
01:21:31  <defunctzombie>haha
01:21:32  <defunctzombie>amazing name
01:21:36  <ins0mnia>even exposed setter/getter for session :-)
01:21:40  <ins0mnia>"session"
01:21:49  <ins0mnia>defunctzombie: guess who came up with the name???
01:22:06  <defunctzombie>substack
01:22:12  <ins0mnia>lol
01:22:13  <ins0mnia>yeah
01:22:19  <defunctzombie>of course
01:22:25  <defunctzombie>you should get him to make you a nice graphic haha
01:22:45  <ins0mnia>and it's so funny because this thunderstore is so tiny lol
01:23:09  <ins0mnia>big impact though :)
01:23:16  <substack>defunctzombie: [email protected] uses your thing
01:24:28  <substack>defunctzombie: so for private repos, what would you want in a thing that you pay for?
01:24:33  <substack>for testling-ci
01:25:55  * kenperkinsquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
01:25:56  * Correnchanged nick to kenperkins
01:26:52  <defunctzombie>substack: actually, I wasn't really looking for private repos, just want to support it with like 5$ or 10$ a month :)
01:26:58  <defunctzombie>substack: in the future I might want private repos
01:27:06  <defunctzombie>most of my stuff I open source anyway
01:27:32  <defunctzombie>substack: cool on the detective stuff!
01:27:54  <defunctzombie>not on github yet tho?
01:28:10  <substack>it is
01:28:34  <defunctzombie>hm
01:28:38  <defunctzombie>I see the tag
01:29:03  <defunctzombie>oh I see
01:29:04  <defunctzombie>ok
01:29:07  <defunctzombie>no version commit
01:29:09  <defunctzombie>cool
01:29:52  <substack>https://github.com/substack/node-detective/commits/master
01:29:54  <substack>scroll down a bit
01:30:05  <defunctzombie>cool
01:30:25  <defunctzombie>haha.. I like the version bump commit rofl
01:30:55  <defunctzombie>carry over from some versioning habits I got while making debian packages in ubuntu land
01:33:00  <defunctzombie>http://ci.testling.com/shtylman/qr.js
01:33:06  <defunctzombie>badge is out of sync with test info
01:33:07  <defunctzombie>very weird
01:35:49  <substack>defunctzombie: browser caching
01:35:52  <substack>browsers are stupid
01:36:04  <substack>they hellacache everything
01:36:19  <defunctzombie>haha
01:36:27  <defunctzombie>that is why I fingerprint, but yea
01:36:32  <defunctzombie>they tend to do that
01:36:57  <defunctzombie>I try to avoid serving any resource (on a page) under the direct url but it can get quite annoying
01:37:07  <defunctzombie>I also apparently am crashing all the chromes
01:37:08  <defunctzombie>haha
01:39:33  * st_lukequit (Remote host closed the connection)
01:40:48  * ins0mniaquit (Remote host closed the connection)
01:52:12  <substack>defunctzombie: browserify 2.4.0 uses the latest module-deps uses the latest detective
01:52:44  <defunctzombie>fuck yea
01:52:49  <defunctzombie>what else did it get?
01:52:52  <defunctzombie>for the .4 bumbp?
01:53:03  <substack>that's it
01:53:06  <defunctzombie>coo
01:53:17  * st_lukejoined
01:53:22  <defunctzombie>maybe this weekend I will have a demo of the multi bundle stuff I was talking about
01:53:25  <substack>I bumpbed the minor since it removes the (require)() stuff which was never actually documented anywhere
01:53:25  <defunctzombie>for review
01:53:32  <defunctzombie>ah yea
01:53:57  * ralphthe1injaquit (Quit: leaving)
01:54:05  <substack>another thing that needs to exist
01:54:30  <substack>module-deps should optionally generate sourcemap data
01:54:46  <substack>line and column offsets that can be fed into the source-map module
01:54:53  <substack>and then browser-pack should assemble that source map data
01:56:16  <substack>juliangruber: I see you have some component modules. How hard does it seem to ingest component.json files with browserify transforms?
02:03:31  <defunctzombie>Raynos: I want an xtend that works in ie7
02:03:37  <defunctzombie>so no Object.keys iirc
02:04:20  <Raynos>hmm
02:04:36  <defunctzombie>and I don't want to use the extend module
02:04:39  <Raynos>defunctzombie: https://github.com/Raynos/xtend/blob/master/index.js
02:04:40  <defunctzombie>cause holy jesus
02:04:48  <Raynos>oh lol
02:04:50  <Raynos>it uses object.keys
02:04:55  <defunctzombie>yep
02:04:56  <defunctzombie>https://github.com/Raynos/xtend/blob/master/index.js#L6
02:05:06  <defunctzombie>can I haz one without and a testling badge :D
02:05:21  <Raynos>I guess so
02:05:27  <Raynos>its called PR :D
02:05:34  <defunctzombie>jesus
02:05:40  <defunctzombie>now *I* have to do work
02:05:42  <defunctzombie>:p
02:05:46  <Raynos>all the wark
02:05:51  <Raynos>im dead serious though
02:05:54  <Raynos>i dont write code for IE
02:05:58  <defunctzombie>and there are no tests
02:06:00  <Raynos>if you want IE<9 PR it in
02:06:02  <Raynos>well
02:06:04  <Raynos>there are no tests
02:06:04  <defunctzombie>yea, either do I
02:06:07  <Raynos>because i wrote it 12 months ago
02:06:11  <defunctzombie>but I figure I might as well
02:06:13  <defunctzombie>since it is easy
02:06:16  <defunctzombie>haha
02:06:18  <Raynos>ok 9*
02:06:20  <Raynos>9 months ago
02:06:24  <Raynos>there was no testling
02:06:31  <defunctzombie>that is true
02:06:42  <Raynos>or tape
02:06:46  <substack>var objectKeys = Object.keys || function (obj) { var keys = []; for (var key in obj) keys.push(key); return keys }
02:06:46  <Raynos>all you had back then
02:06:50  <Raynos>was mocha or qunit
02:07:04  <Raynos>which is bleed eyes or many bleed eyes
02:07:06  <substack>tap was around
02:07:25  <defunctzombie>substack: need the hasOwnProperty check
02:07:27  <defunctzombie>;)
02:07:27  * tilgoviquit (Remote host closed the connection)
02:07:38  <substack>defunctzombie: that doesn't exist reliably in browsers that don't have Object.keys()
02:07:48  <substack>CATCH TWENTY THREE
02:07:48  <LOUDBOT>POLY ETHYLENE TETRA CHLORIDE
02:07:51  <defunctzombie>really
02:07:52  <defunctzombie>wtf
02:08:40  <defunctzombie>ghetto ass
02:08:47  <substack>this might work:
02:08:50  <substack>Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(window,name)
02:09:00  <substack>but ie has this notion of "host objects"
02:09:11  <substack>which MUST have their `this` set to `window`
02:09:23  <substack>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8157700/object-has-no-hasownproperty-method-i-e-its-undefined-ie8
02:09:31  * mikealquit (Quit: Leaving.)
02:09:45  <Raynos>substack: tap didnt work in the browser
02:09:49  <substack>true
02:10:02  <defunctzombie>this is some ghetto bullshit
02:10:09  <defunctzombie>I found that SO thread too
02:10:30  <defunctzombie>wonder if it will work in IE 7?
02:11:03  <defunctzombie>I just don't want to use this
02:11:03  <defunctzombie>https://github.com/justmoon/node-extend/blob/master/index.js
02:11:14  <Raynos>:3
02:11:26  <defunctzombie>although I am gonna have to add some tests
02:11:31  <defunctzombie>Raynos: will you kill me if I use mocha?
02:11:36  <Raynos>yes
02:11:39  <defunctzombie>sigh
02:11:45  <Raynos>i dont care
02:11:49  <Raynos>use tape preferably
02:11:51  <defunctzombie>k
02:11:53  <defunctzombie>ill do that
02:11:53  <Raynos>but mocha is cool too
02:11:59  <defunctzombie>I generally use mocha-tdd
02:12:03  <Raynos>ill just rewrite all the tests into tape
02:12:07  <defunctzombie>cause fuck that spec shit
02:12:07  <Raynos>if I ever need to add or change it
02:12:14  <defunctzombie>kk
02:12:19  <Raynos>generally I use tape because fuck that global tokens shit
02:12:41  <Raynos>defunctzombie: https://github.com/Raynos/by/blob/master/test/index.js#L29
02:12:51  <Raynos>nice and clean! test(name, fn(assert) { ... })
02:13:54  <defunctzombie>I like that, I hate tape output locally :/
02:14:09  <st_luke>anyone know if joyent machines get provisioned with the ssh keys on the account?
02:14:25  <defunctzombie>how else will you login?
02:14:42  <mmckegg>dominictarr: any chance of approving this pull request? https://github.com/dominictarr/level-view-stream/pull/1 - you will have my eternal gratitude!
02:14:59  <dominictarr>oh, yes!
02:15:22  <st_luke>defunctzombie: some places do stupid things like email the original root password or showing it in a web interface, or having you set it when you make the machine
02:15:26  <dominictarr>I'm just right in the middle of stuff… but I'm kinda blocked with that stuff
02:15:29  <st_luke>actually the third option isn't too bad
02:15:36  <dominictarr>mmckegg: merging
02:15:49  <defunctzombie>Raynos: how do you run your tape tests?
02:15:52  <mmckegg>dominictarr: sweet as
02:16:00  <defunctzombie>Raynos: do I now need to isntall "tap" ?
02:16:25  <Raynos>defunctzombie: `node ./test/index.js`
02:16:34  <Raynos>defunctzombie: or testem https://github.com/Raynos/by/blob/master/package.json#L37
02:21:17  <mmckegg>dominictarr: one last request - the dependency semver in level-map?
02:21:28  <dominictarr>yup
02:23:25  <dominictarr>mmckegg: done
02:24:05  <mmckegg>dominictarr: greatly appreciated :)
02:24:13  <dominictarr>no problem!
02:25:50  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: you should make a npm module out of your SimpleProtocol transform stream
02:26:02  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: hahah
02:26:08  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: yeah, i probably will
02:26:22  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: but i'd make contentLength mandatory
02:26:42  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: or maybe not. i dunno
02:26:44  <ralphtheninja>seriously, this is exactly what I need, a chunk of json and then a body, which might be empty
02:26:54  <isaacs>it'd be nice to have some headers to start the stream, and then go until EOF
02:27:11  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: it's MIT, man. take it and run with it :)
02:27:26  <ralphtheninja>sweet :)
02:27:30  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: but sure, i'll package it up, i guess. one sec.
02:28:52  * mikolalysenkojoined
02:29:31  <substack>defunctzombie: what kind of test output do you consider pretty?
02:29:59  <substack>a streaming tap parser could convert tap on stdin into "pretty"
02:30:05  <defunctzombie>substack: generally no output unless something has failed
02:30:08  <defunctzombie>then a stacktrace
02:30:09  <defunctzombie>and test name
02:30:34  <defunctzombie>and any output which I console log I want to see, cause debugging tests is annoying sometimes
02:31:34  <defunctzombie>so what is the over/under that Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty is gonna work in IE 7?
02:32:21  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: ideally I'd like to send e.g. '{ c: "put", args: [ "hash-id" ] }\n\n' and directly followed with a data blob
02:32:32  * tphummelquit (Quit: tphummel)
02:32:55  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: sure.
02:33:42  <ralphtheninja>so the transform could notice 'aah, now it's time for data' and just pass the chunks forward as they are
02:35:04  <ralphtheninja>ProtocolStream perhaps?
02:36:52  * gwenbelljoined
02:37:49  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: so, you want a reader and a writer.
02:38:09  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: a request thingie, where you write some headers, then start the body
02:38:22  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: and a response parser thingie, where you read a json blob, then emit the body
02:38:25  <isaacs>yeah?
02:40:55  <defunctzombie>Raynos: https://github.com/Raynos/xtend/pull/7
02:41:04  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: yup, that summons it up pretty well
02:42:52  <Raynos>defunctzombie: did you have to add semicolons/
02:43:11  <defunctzombie>Raynos: yes, my fingers couldn't resist hahaha
02:43:14  <defunctzombie>feel free to take them out
02:43:18  <defunctzombie>impulse
02:44:15  <Raynos>ok
02:44:20  <Raynos>so im going to fix xtend
02:44:22  <Raynos>to not mutate
02:44:23  <Raynos>first argument
02:44:26  <Raynos>because thats stupid
02:44:31  <defunctzombie>I prefer my code like I prefer my politicians, both should have semicolons to let the shit out
02:44:42  <defunctzombie>Raynos: meh, either or
02:44:52  <defunctzombie>I find passing {} not too bad, but then again, yea probably better
02:44:56  <defunctzombie>not to mutate
02:45:03  <defunctzombie>cause I would always pass {} as a result
02:45:12  <Raynos>wow I had to git clone it
02:45:21  <defunctzombie>haha
02:47:36  <defunctzombie>Raynos: it should also not fail if one of the args is null or such
02:47:48  <defunctzombie>that makes it really useful for handling default options stuff
02:52:46  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: does 'make docs' usually take a long time?
02:53:44  * ikjoined
02:53:47  <ik>isaacs: what the problem is
02:56:26  <Raynos>defunctzombie: http://ci.testling.com/Raynos/xtend
02:56:28  <Raynos>ie7 yes
02:56:37  <defunctzombie>fuck yea
02:56:44  <defunctzombie>I didn't do the object prototype stuff
02:56:46  <defunctzombie>cause that is bs
02:56:49  <defunctzombie>fuck that shit
02:56:54  <Raynos>lol
02:56:56  <Raynos>object prototype?
02:57:03  <defunctzombie>hasOwnProperty nonsense
02:57:11  <substack>awww yeah
02:57:12  <defunctzombie>Raynos: what version of xtend is this now?
02:57:17  <Raynos>2.03
02:57:19  <Raynos>2.0.3
02:57:36  <substack>defunctzombie: go tear that SO thread apart with some EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE
02:57:59  <defunctzombie>substack: we didn't actually use their recommendation, I thought about it
02:58:06  <defunctzombie>and I dont see the point of checking for own properties
02:58:17  <defunctzombie>defineProperty alreayd makes shit non enumerable
02:58:18  <Raynos>is someone trolling?
02:58:36  * dominictarrquit (Quit: dominictarr)
02:58:52  <defunctzombie>Raynos: nice, will it ignore nulls?
02:58:53  <defunctzombie>or no?
02:58:58  <Raynos>yes
02:59:01  <Raynos>any non object
02:59:02  <Raynos>is ignored
02:59:05  <defunctzombie>kk
02:59:12  <Raynos>options = extend(defaults, options)
02:59:29  <defunctzombie>yep
02:59:32  <defunctzombie>that is exactly what I wanted :)
03:09:57  <defunctzombie>It is born!!
03:09:57  <defunctzombie>http://tryme.jit.su/shtylman/qr-element/
03:10:02  <defunctzombie>http://tryme.jit.su/shtylman/qr-element/example/
03:10:16  <defunctzombie>man, tryme readme mode needs a lot of love haha
03:11:41  <defunctzombie>Raynos: ^ that is what your extend went into making :)
03:14:28  <defunctzombie>I think we keep crashing the testling browsers haha
03:14:30  <ralphtheninja>defunctzombie: looks nice!
03:14:41  <defunctzombie>ralphtheninja: thanks :)
03:14:44  <defunctzombie>and no jquery needed
03:15:29  * dominictarrjoined
03:16:20  <substack>I'll look into what's happening
03:18:27  <defunctzombie>wow, how is this semver discussion still going on
03:18:28  <defunctzombie>haha
03:20:48  <substack>nerdfight
03:20:51  <defunctzombie>my base of re-usable browserifyable web elements is growing
03:20:54  <defunctzombie>this is fantastic
03:21:35  <substack>hooray!
03:22:53  * gwenbellquit (Remote host closed the connection)
03:24:54  <defunctzombie>I guess I should make a "dist" build of qr-element
03:25:01  <defunctzombie>for the non-believers to use for now
03:25:18  <defunctzombie>bah, screw that
03:27:40  <defunctzombie>any time I see someone claim "supports major browsers" and they don't have testling tests or any tests... well... we know whats what
03:28:45  * shamaquit (Remote host closed the connection)
03:33:18  * dominictarrquit (Quit: dominictarr)
03:36:22  <substack>defunctzombie: it usually translates to "10 months ago I opened the demo in ie9 and I think it worked"
03:36:42  <defunctzombie>haha
03:36:51  <substack>just got my first gittip transfer yay!
03:37:55  <defunctzombie>nice!
03:48:59  <substack>oh it's art murmur tonight
03:49:11  * substackhas been a hermit lately
03:49:24  <substack>need to fix that bicycle properly and then I'll be out exploring more
03:50:38  <Raynos>defunctzombie: when are you in SF?
03:51:21  * mirkokjoined
03:52:52  <defunctzombie>Raynos: I am thinking mid-end april
03:52:58  * dguttmanquit (Quit: dguttman)
03:53:04  <defunctzombie>there is a bitcoin conference out that way that I will be attending
03:53:26  <Raynos>not going to google?
03:53:34  <defunctzombie>Raynos: nope, cancelled it
03:53:39  <Raynos>why?
03:53:42  <defunctzombie>they wanted me to fill out some form with acrobat
03:54:18  <ralphtheninja>defunctzombie: what btc conference is that?
03:54:58  <ralphtheninja>Raynos: I like your xtend, so simple, gonna use it in levelup
03:54:59  <defunctzombie>http://www.bitcoin2013.com/
03:55:08  <defunctzombie>Raynos: I misspoke, may it seems
03:55:15  <Raynos>I see
03:55:33  <defunctzombie>I thought about flying out next week for a week
03:55:46  <defunctzombie>but given that I will have to be back in may and june I figure I will jsut spend time out there then
03:56:41  <substack>brewed up some coffee, now making straggler support duplex streams
03:56:54  <defunctzombie>haha
03:56:57  <substack>then I can pipe shux terminal sessions into it
04:02:51  * mmckeggquit (Quit: mmckegg)
04:03:26  * mmckeggjoined
04:03:27  * st_lukequit (Remote host closed the connection)
04:03:31  <jesusabdullah>how well is shux working? That's your muxer right?
04:04:26  <substack>yep
04:04:37  <substack>haven't revisited it much
04:04:40  <jesusabdullah>hmm
04:04:43  <substack>runs great locally
04:04:48  <jesusabdullah>coolio
04:05:05  <substack>but on travis the tests weren't working I think because of forkpty vm restrictions
04:05:14  <jesusabdullah>so I found the uafthesis tex package on fedora's official repos, did I mention that?
04:05:21  <substack>oh it might be ulimits on the number of logins
04:05:22  <jesusabdullah>it's cause I published it to stan
04:05:27  <substack>jesusabdullah: yeah I saw that on twatter
04:05:27  <jesusabdullah>must be automatic
04:05:30  <jesusabdullah>still, awesome XD
04:05:46  <substack>node-mkdirp is on apt
04:05:54  <substack>I think only because npm uses it or something
04:06:23  <substack>haha:
04:06:23  <substack>$ git blame index.js|grep isaacs|wc -l
04:06:23  <substack>45
04:06:28  <substack>$ git blame index.js|grep Halliday|wc -l
04:06:28  <substack>36
04:06:32  <substack>on node-mkdirp
04:06:35  <defunctzombie>haha
04:07:00  <jesusabdullah>hah
04:07:55  <substack>8 people have >=100 packages on npm
04:08:13  <jesusabdullah>I forget my count but it's less than that
04:09:00  <substack>my sources say you've got 49
04:09:07  <jesusabdullah>sounds about right
04:09:11  <jesusabdullah>I'm cool with that
04:09:17  <substack>34 people have >=50 packages
04:09:36  <jesusabdullah>hah
04:09:37  <defunctzombie>wonder what I am up to
04:09:41  <substack>compared to other package repositories, that is a pretty huge number of packages
04:09:53  <jesusabdullah>once I get a short name for your-errors-are-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad I'll break 50
04:10:11  <jesusabdullah>yeah, I have like one on ctan and two on pypi
04:11:05  <jesusabdullah>You know I get pull requests on my python eventEmitter port?
04:11:15  <jesusabdullah>Those are actually kinda fun I feel like I'm kickin' it old school
04:11:30  <substack>I wish google closure compiler would be ported to node
04:11:34  <substack>then I might actually use it
04:11:44  <jesusabdullah>oh yeah did I show you that gnome shell extension code?
04:11:45  <substack>it's so annoying to do a bunch of `java` commands
04:11:46  <jesusabdullah>you'll love this
04:11:48  <jesusabdullah>one second
04:11:50  <defunctzombie>substack: you can use the API
04:11:53  <jesusabdullah>also yes sounds like it
04:12:10  <substack>defunctzombie: I think I would rather write a transpiler for java -> javascript
04:12:17  <defunctzombie>haha
04:12:18  <defunctzombie>https://github.com/shtylman/reunion#makefile-magic
04:12:22  <defunctzombie>the api isn't bad
04:12:26  <defunctzombie>you can curl it easily
04:13:02  <defunctzombie>I think on a standalone browserify bundle you can do advanced optimizations
04:13:06  <defunctzombie>and that does all sorts of crazy shit
04:13:20  <substack>but I can just `npm install -g uglify-js` and then pipe to an uglifyjs command
04:13:21  <substack>so easy
04:13:27  <substack>even though it's not as good
04:13:31  <defunctzombie>yep
04:14:23  <jesusabdullah>uuugh I need web browser
04:14:36  <jesusabdullah>why did I uninstall firefox before running a huge yum install command??
04:14:44  * st_lukejoined
04:14:52  <substack>so actually
04:15:13  <jesusabdullah>hmm?
04:15:26  <substack>it would be really simple to compile require('foo') calls into require_foo variables
04:15:28  <jesusabdullah>substack do you have to do java -jar for everything? lol
04:15:38  <substack>jesusabdullah: yes
04:15:42  <substack>it's like
04:15:43  <jesusabdullah>ahahahaha
04:15:46  <substack>some 90s throwback shit
04:15:49  <jesusabdullah>oh God
04:15:57  <jesusabdullah>not even some /bin/sh shims?
04:16:00  <substack>what I wonder is
04:16:04  <jesusabdullah>I'd at least rock some shims, geez
04:16:06  <substack>how java came out of sun
04:16:14  <jesusabdullah>ehhh who knows
04:16:19  <jesusabdullah>you know people actually like scala right?
04:16:21  <substack>sun was one of the unixiest companies ever
04:16:26  <jesusabdullah>blows my mind it looks like a more gnar java
04:16:26  <substack>and yet they made java
04:16:29  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: apparently it does on linux, i'm told.
04:16:29  <substack>how does that even happen
04:16:30  <jesusabdullah>yeah idk
04:16:39  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: so that could be the thing
04:16:39  <jesusabdullah>I mean, I kinda do
04:16:48  <jesusabdullah>it was the 90s and not everyone knew what was good
04:16:55  <jesusabdullah>the jvm was a step forward in a lot of ways
04:17:01  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: also, SimpleProtocol is taking a while because my example script exposed a bug in node master, so now i'm distracted from my distraction from work by work.
04:17:04  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: :)
04:17:23  <isaacs>jesusabdullah: ahh, the 90s.
04:17:25  <jesusabdullah>it's a platform with strengths and weaknesses like any other, but has a lot of pain points
04:17:29  <jesusabdullah>inorite?
04:17:38  <jesusabdullah>when TMNT was on tv
04:18:16  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: hahaha I'm on side quest number 5 or something
04:18:22  <isaacs>now this is a story all about how my code got flipped turnd up side down, startup takes a minute, just sit right there, and the JVM will run your code eventually maybe.
04:19:06  <substack>the jvm just needs to think really hard about your code first
04:19:59  <substack>the jvm is the method acting of language vms
04:24:01  <defunctzombie>substack: browserify needs a way to do <foobar>=(rest of bundle here)
04:24:23  <defunctzombie>so people like d3 can make exportable files for non browserify users?
04:24:58  <substack>defunctzombie: 'foobar=(function(){var ' + src + '; return require})()'
04:25:06  <substack>although
04:25:35  <Raynos>rvagg: remind me I claim I can fix your streams statemachine with streams2 magic
04:25:37  <substack>I see what you mean
04:25:50  <substack>unsure if browserify core should handle that
04:26:16  <rvagg>Raynos: yeah, I imagine streams2 would help but we still need to support streams1, is that going to be doable?
04:26:23  <Raynos>yes
04:26:25  <substack>google closure compiler is so weird
04:26:27  <Raynos>streams2 is fully back compat
04:26:31  <rvagg>cool
04:26:35  <Raynos>if its not then thats a bug in node core
04:26:38  <Raynos>I lied
04:26:41  <Raynos>its not fully back compat
04:26:42  <substack>you load modules by doing `goog.require('goog.dom');`
04:26:49  <Raynos>but you wont hit into the edge cases
04:26:54  <Raynos>because they are stupid edge cases
04:26:58  <substack>then the functionality is available in the `goog.dom` global
04:27:01  <substack>that is so weird
04:27:12  <rvagg>Raynos: well we have plenty of tests that should pick up anything that goes wrong
04:27:18  <substack>why don't functions just return values
04:27:28  <defunctzombie>cause they hate life
04:27:34  <substack>let's mutate the environment instead, great idea!
04:27:37  <Raynos>substack: functions that dont return values have side effects
04:27:44  <Raynos>sometimes you need side effects
04:27:52  <substack>Raynos: but not for module loading
04:28:00  <Raynos>maybe they like trolling
04:28:14  <substack>side effects for module loading creates order-sensitive problems
04:28:56  <substack>I guess at least with their thing the module functionality is exported into a predictable place at least
04:30:44  <substack>"Note: Do not put your goog.require() statements in the same script tag as the entry point to code that uses the goog.required functions or classes. A goog.require() call adds code to the document after the script tag containing the call. "
04:30:48  <substack>https://developers.google.com/closure/library/docs/gettingstarted
04:30:50  <substack>what what what
04:30:52  <substack>that is so weird
04:32:42  * kenperkinschanged nick to kperkins|sleep
04:32:48  * kperkins|sleepchanged nick to kperkins|away
04:41:23  <jesusabdullah>uuuugh I'm dumb
04:43:29  <jesusabdullah>substack: once I have a browser again I'll show you the gnome shell style guide, it's awesomely terrible
04:46:04  <Raynos>substack: i think it does blocking loading :P
04:46:15  <Raynos>its like im going to load it in a blocking fashion with a script tag
04:46:16  <Raynos>BUT
04:46:21  <Raynos>im not going to return it immediately
04:46:57  <substack>so why would anyone use google closure ever
04:46:59  <Raynos>substack: https://gist.github.com/Raynos/0b1fa927d4e79694875e
04:47:07  <Raynos>that's clearly what you wanted
04:47:17  <Raynos>its async!
04:47:21  <Raynos>it goes on next tick
04:47:32  <substack>pretty much!
04:48:23  <jesusabdullah>substack: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Gjs_StyleGuide
04:48:45  <jesusabdullah>multiple clusterfucks of conventions
04:50:25  <substack>imports.big?
04:50:34  <Raynos>:D
04:51:43  <jesusabdullah>hmm?
04:51:49  <jesusabdullah>oh yeah
04:51:57  <defunctzombie>this is some crazy shit
04:51:59  <jesusabdullah>terrible apis in gnome shell
04:52:03  <jesusabdullah>inorite
04:52:41  <defunctzombie>how widely is "const" supported?
04:52:49  <defunctzombie>and is there any performance advantage to it?
04:53:03  <defunctzombie>substack: what would you do for the <foobar> = src case?
04:53:09  <defunctzombie>you seemed to say something about it
04:53:32  <jesusabdullah>I think it has coverage in most "new" environments
04:53:48  <substack>defunctzombie: wrap the output with strings
04:54:05  <jesusabdullah>substack: you see why I would want to use browserify with this shit?
04:54:19  <substack>jesusabdullah: yep
04:54:29  <jesusabdullah>:D
04:54:35  <substack>or it's gnome so you'd think they could just do whatever the fuck
04:54:42  <jesusabdullah>yeah idk man
04:54:43  <substack>make something nice however
04:54:50  <defunctzombie>gnome doesn't know how to make nice
04:54:51  <jesusabdullah>the biggest constraint is the gobject binding api
04:55:01  <jesusabdullah>which is vaguely resonable, just magic methods
04:55:05  <defunctzombie>substack: any nice way to do that from a command line or makefile tho
04:55:14  <defunctzombie>substack: if I want to just have a makefile rule to build some output
04:55:16  <jesusabdullah>also there's an EE api that's kinda painful
04:55:29  <substack>I don't use gnome but I use gnome-terminal because I like its tabs
04:55:59  <jesusabdullah>yeah
04:56:25  <jesusabdullah>I'm trying out gnome 3 now cause I learned that it's javascript on spidermonkey with gobject bindings
04:56:58  <defunctzombie>jesusabdullah: kde had javascript stuff for a while
04:57:02  <defunctzombie>and qt has it too
04:57:10  <defunctzombie>gobject stuff is weird imho
04:58:17  <jesusabdullah>yeeah
05:02:26  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
05:11:57  * CoverSlidequit (Read error: Operation timed out)
05:15:59  * CoverSlidejoined
05:20:49  * st_lukequit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
05:20:55  * st_luke_joined
05:24:33  * zero_coderjoined
05:29:37  * st_luke_quit (Remote host closed the connection)
05:31:36  * mikolalysenkojoined
05:35:05  * st_lukejoined
05:36:03  * zero_coderquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
05:36:25  <kperkins|away>substack: are there many blogs running glog?
05:37:04  <ik>ug glug glug
05:40:51  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
06:05:15  <substack>kperkins|away: I don't know of any except browserify.org
06:05:26  <defunctzombie>substack: fuck yea https://github.com/substack/lexical-scope/blob/master/bench/results.txt
06:05:32  <substack>yep
06:05:40  <defunctzombie>substack: I also just sent you a pull for smaller bundle sizes when externs are used
06:05:58  <substack>k
06:06:19  <kperkins|away>substack: is pkrumins your partner?
06:06:25  <substack>kperkins|away: yep
06:06:29  <kperkins|away>cool
06:06:35  <substack>pkrumins and I run browserling and testling
06:07:02  * dguttmanjoined
06:07:03  * mikolalysenkojoined
06:08:03  <kperkins|away>cool, I look forward to talking to you guys more in the future :D
06:10:44  <kperkins|away>i need to find a blog, ideally in nodeks
06:10:48  <kperkins|away>-k+j
06:11:10  <substack>there are lots to choose from
06:12:09  <kperkins|away>yea, im just picking through em
06:12:36  <substack>glog is just a library that lets you publish with git more than a standalone blog engine
06:12:43  <kperkins|away>yea, I saw that
06:13:01  <substack>good if you want to integrate a git blog with some existing site but more work if you just want a blog thing that works out of the box
06:14:18  <kperkins|away>im looking for the latter
06:14:47  <defunctzombie>kperkins|away: I will suggest github pages
06:14:58  <defunctzombie>you don't have to maintain anything
06:15:02  <defunctzombie>and they are relatively flexible
06:15:20  <defunctzombie>I run my site off github pages
06:17:58  <kperkins|away>i was hoping to run something on node, but maybe that's unneccessary
06:22:45  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
06:22:57  * dguttmanquit (Quit: dguttman)
06:29:35  * mikealjoined
06:30:11  <defunctzombie>substack: https://github.com/shtylman/node-browserify/commit/ae39ac91291d49dcdc88eee98372fba7d29e6b8f
06:30:15  <defunctzombie>substack: that is the gist of it
06:30:28  <defunctzombie>I am not happy with that commit as it is, but that at least shows the goal
06:31:25  <mbalho>substack: haha brian cantrill has your tshirt https://twitter.com/DeirdreS/status/307626443079307266
06:40:54  * st_lukequit (Remote host closed the connection)
06:46:09  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
06:48:50  * dguttmanjoined
06:49:18  * mikolalysenkojoined
06:52:07  * dguttmanquit (Client Quit)
07:06:09  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
07:22:23  <juliangruber>rvagg: wow, I didn't know you did a real libuv port of leveldb. I didn't do that for leveled
07:22:29  <juliangruber>rvagg: how does it compare?
07:22:45  <rvagg>juliangruber: no, it's not working, it's only a partial port that I've been hammering away at for ages
07:22:56  <rvagg>env.cc is the main problem
07:23:04  <rvagg>port.h is fine, got that working ok
07:24:18  <juliangruber>rvagg: but you expect it to work better/faster?
07:25:30  <rvagg>juliangruber: no, probably not, mainly libuv just wraps around pthread do to the stuff in port.h
07:25:37  <rvagg>it's mainly just to get windows working
07:26:58  <juliangruber>I see
07:34:36  * mikolalysenkojoined
07:42:37  <substack>defunctzombie_zz: do you have an example yet of how your patch makes making multi-bundles simpler/better?
07:48:22  * fotoveritequit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
07:49:55  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
07:51:46  * fotoveritejoined
07:54:04  <substack>defunctzombie_zz: https://gist.github.com/substack/5070099
07:55:16  * AvianFluquit (Remote host closed the connection)
08:01:28  <substack>this graph is glorious https://github.com/substack/node-browserify/graphs/code-frequency
08:05:05  <chrisdickinson>i really wish buffer-browserify standardized on typed arrays ):
08:06:04  <substack>chrisdickinson: did you send a pull req?
08:06:22  <chrisdickinson>no, at this point i'm teetering on the edge of just rewriting it
08:07:06  <chrisdickinson>the "toString('utf8')" bits don't work, the buffer/slowbuffer thing doesn't really apply since buffer array indexing doesn't work, etc, etc
08:07:47  <chrisdickinson>you end up with all sorts of hacks in your code to transform from browserify buffer to typed array or back again because you can't index nicely
08:08:10  <chrisdickinson>https://github.com/chrisdickinson/tar-parse/blob/master/header.js#L183-L190
08:09:55  <substack>chrisdickinson: you can re-use the buffer-browserify test suite at least
08:10:03  * fentjoined
08:10:15  <chrisdickinson>ideally i'd just use the buffer test suite from node, though i know that's kind of a pain
08:10:31  <substack>also can it be possible to have a non-typed array fallback for browsers that don't yet have it?
08:10:56  <substack>well folks can send that later
08:11:34  <chrisdickinson>yeah, i'm thinking it would just completely fake out the fast / slow buffer division
08:11:43  <chrisdickinson>sidenote, are there docs on the browser field anywhere?
08:13:00  <chrisdickinson>also, have you seen moz-chunked-arraybuffer (for xhr)?
08:16:34  <substack>https://gist.github.com/shtylman/4339901
08:18:39  * mikolalysenkojoined
08:34:33  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
08:44:58  * fentquit (Quit: leaving)
09:02:30  * mikolalysenkojoined
09:05:55  * st_lukejoined
09:17:55  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
09:32:05  * dominictarrjoined
09:40:05  * dominictarrquit (Quit: dominictarr)
09:44:46  * mikolalysenkojoined
09:47:54  * dominictarrjoined
09:52:04  * dominictarrquit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
10:01:25  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
10:03:29  * chiltsjoined
10:03:31  * mmckeggquit (Quit: mmckegg)
10:08:06  * slaskisjoined
10:28:05  * mikolalysenkojoined
10:34:47  <st_luke>substack: how are you usually testing streams in node-tap?
10:34:48  <st_luke>using through?
10:37:17  <substack>testing?
10:37:55  <substack>.on('data'), .on('end')
10:38:00  <substack>or sometimes using through
10:46:32  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
10:53:06  <juliangruber>substack: the lexical-scope bench runs in 0.4s on my machine. I tried making it faster but I didn't spot an obvious thing to optimise
10:53:53  <substack>juliangruber: it's already fast
10:54:17  <substack>since 0.0.5
10:55:32  <juliangruber>yup, but your bench said 1.7s and thats not that cool
10:59:34  <substack>is the jquery.js in the directory?
10:59:47  <substack>if it errors out early for you that could be why it finishes quickly
11:02:35  <juliangruber>substack: it outputs what it should
11:04:11  <juliangruber>its 0.06s for reading the file and 310ms for getting the results
11:12:06  <substack>with a minified jquery.js?
11:12:37  * mikolalysenkojoined
11:19:36  <juliangruber>yup, just running time node bench/run.js > /dev/null from the repo
11:23:37  <substack>well your computer is just fast
11:30:02  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
11:33:58  <juliangruber>I just tried ext-js and it took 2.6s :D
11:34:04  <juliangruber>but 1.3mb of js is wrong anyway
11:36:07  <st_luke>https://github.com/st-luke/plant
11:37:37  <juliangruber>st_luke: it's just {{}} replacement?
11:38:00  <st_luke>juliangruber: yea, super simple
11:38:15  <juliangruber>will it be more or stay like so?
11:38:26  <juliangruber>*like that
11:39:30  <st_luke>juliangruber: there can be more, but there's a lot i've taken out to strip it down to this
11:39:36  <st_luke>the main point being that this does practically nothing
11:39:41  <st_luke>almost like a fancy .replace()
11:39:52  <juliangruber>mhm
11:40:12  <juliangruber>yeah I don't exactly see the use case, but the focus is cool
11:40:32  <st_luke>I'm using this in conjunction with leveldb stuff I've been working on with my company
11:41:05  <substack>api looks good
11:41:05  <juliangruber>:O
11:41:06  <juliangruber>you're using leveldb, with node?
11:41:10  <st_luke>yes
11:41:13  <st_luke>we're doing a lot of streaming templating & storage in level to keep things fast
11:41:35  <st_luke>so something like this is extremely well suited to that
11:41:35  <juliangruber>awesome!
11:41:50  <juliangruber>there will be no iteration?
11:42:03  <st_luke>iteration of the module or the templates?
11:42:06  <juliangruber>like, you must be building the simplest thing on earth :P
11:42:14  <juliangruber>in the templating syntax
11:42:16  <substack>st_luke: I recommend using through instead of the raw core stream since you'll get backpressure without having to roll it yourself
11:42:43  <substack>very important for serving streaming content to slow clients over http
11:43:09  <st_luke>juliangruber: the templating is simple because it's mainly used for building partials before we do a more thorough build
11:43:23  <substack>and instead of this.emit('data', buf) you do this.queue(buf)
11:43:24  <juliangruber>st_luke: I see
11:43:56  <st_luke>substack: that's a good idea, but my use case isn't serving these templates up directly to a consumer over the wire
11:44:04  <st_luke>however maybe someone else's is
11:44:35  <substack>it's useful for any kind of stream that will need to work with backpressure
11:44:44  <juliangruber>st_luke: you're piping many streams of templated html into a final node that combines them and serves them to the client?
11:45:06  <substack>st_luke: plus it will be even less code!
11:45:41  <st_luke>juliangruber: sort of, I can't really mention too many specific details about it yet but once we launch I'll write a whole bunch about it
11:45:54  <juliangruber>st_luke: cool
11:46:23  <st_luke>juliangruber: it's very level driven and level's been pretty amazing so far
11:46:23  <substack>st_luke: the readme says it's streaming but internally it looks like it just buffers up a big string?
11:46:34  <juliangruber>I've been writing a tick data database in leveldb too but management didn't let me finish...
11:46:43  <st_luke>i should just use through
11:48:11  <st_luke>substack: whoops, i meant to update that
11:49:15  <substack>and then there's just the small edge case of a {{}} that spans multiple buffer chunks
11:49:24  <substack>but that is easy to fix once you've got a test suite for it
11:49:49  <substack>guess and test is really effective with good tests
11:50:04  <st_luke>I wanted to get this out the door asap cause what was written internally wasn't quite so great
11:50:10  <substack>yep makes sense
11:50:10  <st_luke>and it was starting to get forgotten
11:50:32  <substack>most important thing is to get 0.0.0 out the door then iterate
11:52:28  <st_luke>and i noticed plant was free on npm and really wanted to grab it
11:58:21  <substack>so many great words are free
11:58:23  * mikolalysenkojoined
11:58:34  <substack>this is the golden age of good names
11:59:02  <substack>fortunes will be made on holding down good names
12:03:39  * yorickjoined
12:11:24  <st_luke>yeah, but i won't grab one if i dont have a good excuse to use it
12:14:59  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
12:20:38  * spionjoined
12:21:55  * slaskisquit (Quit: slaskis)
12:26:08  * slaskisjoined
12:29:40  * slaskisquit (Client Quit)
12:31:12  * fentjoined
12:40:59  * mikolalysenkojoined
12:47:15  * st_lukequit (Remote host closed the connection)
13:16:04  * spionquit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
13:16:07  * ins0mniajoined
13:18:01  <ins0mnia>substack: when you get a free moment would it be possible you to merge this one https://github.com/substack/seaport/pull/22
13:24:13  <substack>oh right, forgot about that one
13:25:11  <substack>published
13:25:46  <ins0mnia>substack: cool thank you :)
14:25:50  <ins0mnia>does npm sometimes take time to publish an updated package?
14:31:18  <ins0mnia>there it showed up
14:31:25  <ins0mnia>took 10-15 minutes
14:38:59  <substack>iriscouch is having some issues with s3 right now I think
14:44:24  <ralphtheninja>substack: straggler looks cool!
14:44:48  <ralphtheninja>what are you going to use it for?
14:45:13  <substack>oh hah I'm working on it right now
14:45:45  <substack>ralphtheninja: aggregating logging info firstly
14:46:15  <substack>then it's going to be the mechanism that fleet will use
14:46:41  <ralphtheninja>so deploy stuff etc?
14:46:44  <substack>yep
14:46:50  <ralphtheninja>you could do anything with this :)
14:47:03  <substack>it's just a pubsubby idea
14:47:05  <substack>but with streams
14:47:05  <ralphtheninja>get/put whatever kind of data
14:47:07  <ralphtheninja>nods
14:47:19  <substack>and public keypairs for auth
14:47:49  <ralphtheninja>and you can serve it over any transport speaking streams I guess
14:48:13  <substack>but right now it's just http
14:48:39  <substack>since the headers are handy for separating routes
15:01:38  <ins0mnia>oh
15:01:40  <juliangruber>substack: will the new fleet spawn processed detached from the drone?
15:01:45  <ins0mnia>someone did actually download html-element
15:03:21  * ins0mniaquit (Remote host closed the connection)
15:03:24  <substack>juliangruber: that would actually work pretty well if they're already detached into a pts
15:04:01  <juliangruber>substack: pts?
15:04:13  <substack>pseudoterminal
15:04:23  <substack>https://github.com/substack/shux
15:07:22  <juliangruber>and there is a shux server per process on every machine?
15:08:37  <substack>something like that
15:09:46  <juliangruber>I built something similar, it piped the processes stdout and stderr over mux-demux to the host/drone/hub and exposed management functions like kill or restart over dnode
15:15:38  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
15:31:07  * kperkins|awaychanged nick to kenperkins
15:34:19  * slaskisjoined
15:37:07  * AvianFlujoined
16:01:00  * slaskisquit (Quit: slaskis)
16:01:26  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
16:01:33  * slaskisjoined
16:09:28  * mikealquit (Quit: Leaving.)
16:12:54  <juliangruber>proposal for new MuxDemux api: https://github.com/dominictarr/mux-demux/issues/22
16:16:04  <juliangruber>Raynos substack ^^
16:18:17  * spionjoined
16:19:26  * mikolalysenkojoined
16:21:35  * mikealjoined
16:22:12  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
16:29:21  <ralphtheninja>I'm so tempted to just spawn new processes and have them communicate via stdin/stdout
16:32:53  <ralphtheninja>makes it easier to test separate parts direcly on cli
16:35:44  * mikealquit (Quit: Leaving.)
16:36:01  <ralphtheninja>and if one child dies, it's not the end of the app ... buuuuut there's the overhead of creating new processes .. trade offs gaaaah
16:36:10  <ralphtheninja></rant>
16:43:53  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
16:45:15  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: what do you think about this api: https://gist.github.com/juliangruber/5071867
16:45:41  <juliangruber>this way you can spawn detached processes and still get streams and ipc etc.
16:45:42  <defunctzombie>ralphtheninja: I just use json between processes with automatical zeroconf stuff
16:45:53  <juliangruber>only the minimal required part is attached to the process
16:46:13  <juliangruber>also substack: https://gist.github.com/juliangruber/5071867 could fleet use this?
16:46:43  <defunctzombie>ralphtheninja: https://github.com/shtylman/node-spaceport
16:46:44  * cianomaidinjoined
16:47:03  <defunctzombie>made for local or remote usage with no central service authority
16:48:49  <juliangruber>defunctzombie: could spaceport work across networks?
16:49:00  <defunctzombie>juliangruber: yes
16:49:08  <defunctzombie>you just setup a tunnel for the multicast data
16:49:19  <defunctzombie>over tcp between any disconnected network you want
16:49:28  * cianomaidinquit (Client Quit)
16:49:28  <ralphtheninja>defunctzombie: spaceport looks cool
16:49:37  <defunctzombie>there are already tools that do the tunnel stuff
16:49:56  <defunctzombie>I guess I could provide a simple example with spaceport
16:50:04  <defunctzombie>but there has been no need as of yet
16:50:15  <defunctzombie>cause I deploy on networks where I have visibility
16:50:24  <defunctzombie>and locally it works fine
16:50:51  <ralphtheninja>would be great with an example, if you have the time for it
16:52:54  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: what's the 'ps' event? when someone connects?
16:53:08  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: when a process registers itself on the hub
16:53:14  <ralphtheninja>aah check
16:53:25  <juliangruber>that happens when you spawn a process from the hub or when the hub restarts after a crash
16:53:52  <ralphtheninja>so it keeps the info about it's processes even if it crashes?
16:53:57  <ralphtheninja>its*
16:59:32  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: I like horst too :)
16:59:45  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: as soon as it's dead the hosts will constantly try to reconnect
17:00:03  <juliangruber>when the horst is up again it gets all their data, including meta
17:00:10  <juliangruber>and no stdin/stderr is lost
17:00:15  <ralphtheninja>cool
17:00:24  <juliangruber>so you like the API? then I'll start coding
17:02:23  * mikealjoined
17:03:04  <ralphtheninja>this hub is only intended to work with process locally, right
17:03:26  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: processes*
17:03:39  <juliangruber>yep
17:03:54  <juliangruber>otherwise the process has to do all of this itself
17:03:55  * spionquit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
17:04:04  <juliangruber>so I could write a lib for this too
17:04:11  <juliangruber>no, won't work
17:04:32  <juliangruber>a clean restart is only possible with a parent process
17:04:54  <juliangruber>so you need a parent process anyway
17:05:14  <juliangruber>if you want to do it on multiple computers then have one hub per computer
17:05:16  <ralphtheninja>yep, but that's fine
17:05:28  <ralphtheninja>a parent process is fine that is
17:06:23  <ralphtheninja>and the parent should be so simple so 'nothing' can go wrong .. it should only relay stuff to child processes .. depending on input sent to the hub
17:08:51  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: how is the meta data communicated to the child?
17:09:13  <juliangruber>it is an env var
17:09:22  <juliangruber>but that's just optional
17:09:23  <ralphtheninja>ok
17:09:37  <juliangruber>you can also pass that as an argument to the cli
17:10:11  <ralphtheninja>can skip the meta for now if you want, easy enough to parse out from process.argv instead
17:10:23  * slaskisquit (Quit: slaskis)
17:11:24  <ralphtheninja>aah ok like 'horst -- node index.js foo bar
17:11:35  <ralphtheninja>aah ok like 'horst -- node index.js foo bar'
17:17:09  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: yup
17:17:28  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: meta is so the hub knows stuff about the process
17:17:45  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: ok, like callback data :)
17:17:46  <juliangruber>with only process.argv the process would have to tell the hub
17:18:02  <ralphtheninja>'which process is this again? aah that one'
17:18:55  <juliangruber>exactly
17:19:25  <ralphtheninja>that's good, then you can put any data you want in there to react upon
17:21:28  <juliangruber>because it will use optimist, you can even assign objects from the commandline, like --meta.foo=bar --meta.bar=baz
17:22:16  * ins0mniajoined
17:23:09  <ralphtheninja>ok, so it will have { hub: "localhost:7000", meta: "foo" } in this example
17:23:18  <ralphtheninja>horst --hub=localhost:7000 --meta=foo -- node index.js
17:23:21  <ralphtheninja>^ that example
17:24:33  <ralphtheninja>assert(ps.hub == 'localhost:7000')
17:28:37  * slaskisjoined
17:30:00  <juliangruber>hm, what do you need ps.hub for?
17:30:06  <juliangruber>that is your own address
17:30:10  <ralphtheninja>I dont :)
17:30:16  <ralphtheninja>was just an example
17:30:33  <ralphtheninja>or is the --meta reserved?
17:31:22  <juliangruber>--meta is reserved
17:31:28  <ralphtheninja>gotcha
17:31:30  <juliangruber>maybe it will be only a string for meta
17:31:34  <juliangruber>then it could be
17:31:43  <juliangruber>horst localhost:7000/foo node index.js
17:32:31  * mikealquit (Quit: Leaving.)
17:33:25  <ralphtheninja>if I can spawn children .. pipe shit around as I please .. then I'm happy :)
17:33:43  <juliangruber>:)
17:33:44  <ralphtheninja>rest is just sugar
17:34:05  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
17:35:11  <ralphtheninja>I could probably code this myself to solve my problem, but it feels like a module of its own
17:35:37  <ralphtheninja>juliangruber: I hope you'll have some use of it yourself :)
17:36:18  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: I already have the cli part, only need to do the hub
17:36:22  <juliangruber>:)
17:53:18  * mikolalysenkojoined
18:04:23  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
18:05:12  <rowbit>/!\ ATTENTION: (default-local) paid account successfully upgraded /!\
18:05:13  <rowbit>/!\ ATTENTION: (default-local) [email protected] successfully signed up for developer browserling plan ($20). Cash money! /!\
18:22:44  * fotoveritequit (Quit: fotoverite)
18:25:16  * jibayquit (Quit: Leaving)
18:31:05  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
18:36:17  * heathjsjoined
18:37:52  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
18:37:58  * tilgovijoined
18:45:57  * heathjsquit (Quit: http://quassel-irc.org - Chat comfortably. Anywhere.)
18:47:15  * heathjoined
18:53:27  <hij1nx>rvagg: are there any serious blockers on node-leveljs or is it just a matter of time for you?
18:54:19  * slaskisquit (Quit: slaskis)
19:14:05  <juliangruber>hij1nx rvagg: I think leveljs will be a lot of work, what about finding and assigning tasks to willing contributors?
19:22:36  <ralphtheninja>what would the similarities be? similar datastructures at the bottom, like sstable?
19:23:58  <hij1nx>juliangruber: im into it. i really hit the wall though with git-stream, i found it very difficult to get javascript to do some things that C++ does.
19:24:00  <ralphtheninja>what is the 'level' in leveldb is what I'm getting at :)
19:24:45  <hij1nx>juliangruber: actually i take that back, the biggest problem was how CRAZY the git codebase is ;)
19:25:22  <hij1nx>git is a can of worms.
19:25:55  <hij1nx>sstables by themselves are very simple.
19:26:15  <juliangruber>hij1nx: I only looked through parts of the leveldb source and although I saw many intirections there wan't anything too weird...on the first look :)
19:26:23  <juliangruber>*wasn't
19:26:44  <juliangruber>and I'm in too
19:27:18  <hij1nx>juliangruber: i've not looked at it yet. i've been incredibly happy as a user, but the c++ dependency is a turn off for a lot of people. so i've been thinking about leveljs a lot
19:27:57  <juliangruber>yeah. And everytime you try a module with levelup as dependency npm install takes too long
19:28:06  <juliangruber>I'd like it to be like with redis and hiredis
19:28:16  <hij1nx>also, im curious if it could be faster in js.
19:28:24  <juliangruber>haha, yes!
19:28:35  <ralphtheninja>at least fast enough
19:28:40  <juliangruber>I'm sure we can find cases where crossing the language boundary is the bottleneck
19:28:51  <ralphtheninja>huge advantage just to have it in js only
19:28:56  <hij1nx>redis feels too complex to me now after building large-ish, complex applications with leveldb
19:29:21  <hij1nx>redis has too many features that i dont use
19:29:31  <hij1nx>including lua scripting :E
19:29:50  <ralphtheninja>aye, remove features .. is a good feature! :)
19:29:55  <juliangruber>:O so you built software for production with node and leveldb? defunctzombie just said today that he's doing that too
19:30:06  <ralphtheninja>simple, clean, do one thing extremely well
19:30:19  * defunctzombiedoesn't use leveldb tho
19:30:29  <juliangruber>defunctzombie: oO?
19:30:33  <hij1nx>yeah, its a little risky
19:30:41  <hij1nx>but im ok with the risk
19:30:52  <hij1nx>its incentive to work on it
19:30:59  <ralphtheninja>you have to gamble some :)
19:31:04  <hij1nx>;)(
19:31:11  <juliangruber>yeah
19:31:14  <hij1nx>s/(//
19:31:29  <hij1nx>it makes it worth doing!! :D
19:31:40  <juliangruber>I started writing a tick data db using leveled and it was like like twice as fast as redis
19:31:51  <juliangruber>for the operations I needed
19:31:54  <ralphtheninja>decided to use only latest node and go with streams2, not a good idea for production stuff, but I want to use the latest stuff!
19:32:43  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: also, you have to constantly train coworkers about the stuff you do
19:32:52  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: otherwise they'll have a hard time maintaining
19:33:14  <ralphtheninja>if you have any coworkers that is :)
19:33:40  <juliangruber>haha, ok
19:33:57  <ralphtheninja>but I know what you mean
19:34:44  <hij1nx>ralphtheninja: juliangruber hey we should do this leveldb thing on nodeup with st_luke
19:36:05  <juliangruber>hij1nx: it would be an honor :)
19:36:07  <ralphtheninja>think Raynos might be doing it
19:36:31  <ralphtheninja><--- still too newb to talk about leveldb :)
19:36:32  <hij1nx>its one of those kind of things where in the past 5 or 6 people are on the show
19:37:00  <hij1nx>you pick a specific thing to talk about and take 10 or 15 minutes.
19:37:44  <hij1nx>in the past they have gotten a little opinion heavy and banter-ish, but if everyone picked a specific area it could be quite enlightening.
19:38:52  <juliangruber>mkay
19:39:01  <hij1nx>i think max ogden said he was going to MC the show, which would be great.
19:39:22  <juliangruber>to mc?
19:39:41  <ralphtheninja>master of ceremony? :)
19:39:42  <hij1nx>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_ceremonies
19:41:08  <hij1nx>also, it doesnt need to be nodeup, its pretty easy to make a podcast and put it online ;)
19:41:25  <hij1nx>one thing that would be ideal is if we put together a list of talking points
19:41:44  <juliangruber>that won't be the problem :)
19:41:56  <hij1nx>juliangruber: you wan to start a gist?
19:42:03  <hij1nx>kick it off! :D
19:42:09  <juliangruber>hij1nx: yeeeha!
19:42:50  <hij1nx>ralphtheninja: you've been committing a lot to levelup, you should def have some interesting talking points :)
19:42:56  <ralphtheninja>I think the module/plugin approach is worth mentioning, that there are many modules already that build on top of it
19:43:33  <ralphtheninja>hij1nx: well, it has mainly been refactoring stuff, but that's how I work when I absorb new code
19:44:28  <juliangruber>hij1nx: ralphtheninja: https://gist.github.com/juliangruber/5072914
19:44:33  <juliangruber>or should we do an etherpad?
19:45:00  <juliangruber>I haven't tried collaborating on gists
19:48:57  <juliangruber>we should collect bullet points and when we have all the interesting ones then we should write abstracts for each and throw away the less interesting ones
19:49:07  <ralphtheninja>hij1nx: I was thinking of that blog post you made
19:49:18  <ralphtheninja>perhaps you could mention something about the internals
19:50:38  <ralphtheninja>thank god for a german on this project .. organizing stuff! :)
19:51:15  <juliangruber>ralphtheninja: :D
19:51:42  <juliangruber>I know germans that can't organize anything too ;)
19:53:54  <hij1nx>e problem :) ??? ehd
19:54:00  <hij1nx>oops
19:54:05  <hij1nx>https://gist.github.com/juliangruber/5072914#comment-787613
19:54:32  <ehd>when's this podcast/nodeup gonna happen?
19:54:48  <juliangruber>why does gist still not have comment notifications?
19:55:56  <hij1nx>if we did our own podcast we could do cool editing and preproduction shit, that would be bad ass, like an NPR episode of Radio Lab or This American Life with cool sound effects and stuff :)
19:56:21  <juliangruber>hij1nx ralphtheninja: merged :)
19:56:37  <juliangruber>:D
19:56:44  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
19:56:51  <juliangruber>I want 6 funny sounds to appear after my planned joke!
19:57:02  <juliangruber>*to play
19:57:02  <hij1nx>juliangruber: laugh track!
19:57:03  <ralphtheninja>there are stuff on that list that I want answered too :)
19:57:28  <hij1nx>juliangruber: laugh track would be super funny.
19:57:59  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
19:58:02  <juliangruber>hij1nx: let's do this
19:58:05  <hij1nx>ok, we're totally doing this. everyone who wants to answer some of the questions in the gist, give me your skype id
19:58:24  <hij1nx>we will record your answers and i will compile/edit everything
19:58:43  <juliangruber>hij1nx: I'll definitely answer "How can an embedded database that is locked by a process be shared with other processes?" :D
19:59:07  <hij1nx>i have a friend from the new york film institute who is studying sound editing and can help make it sound super pro
19:59:17  <ralphtheninja>multilevel to the resque! :)
19:59:34  <ralphtheninja>hij1nx: hehe cool
19:59:35  <hij1nx>actually, just throw your skypeid into the gist
19:59:39  <hij1nx>or
19:59:48  <hij1nx>maybe not? i dunno, whats the best way to do this?
20:00:10  <juliangruber>mail?
20:00:14  <juliangruber>OH
20:00:18  <juliangruber>a basecamp breeze list
20:00:34  <juliangruber>oh, no, they cost 20$
20:00:58  <hij1nx>oh, just /msg me with your skpeid, does everyone have skype? ...man i hate skype, but i think it can record audio
20:01:08  <ehd>webrtc bro, soon
20:02:48  <hij1nx>ok, its possible to recrod skype calls with audio hijack pro, which i have
20:03:23  <juliangruber>will we have everyone talking at the same time or more like essays?
20:03:43  <juliangruber>hm, I guess it should be spontaneous
20:04:31  <juliangruber>hij1nx: with soundflowerbed you can record everything
20:05:27  <juliangruber>it creates a virtual soundcard that you can record from and monitor at the same time
20:05:44  * thatguydanjoined
20:05:50  <hij1nx>juliangruber: that looks cool, i think audio hijack will work, if not we can try that
20:05:59  <juliangruber>kay
20:06:16  <hij1nx>also, we need dominictarr and rvagg
20:07:03  <hij1nx>but i think if we do a prerecorded style, we can do it async, which will probably work better for everyone because we're so distributed
20:07:04  <juliangruber>absolutely!
20:07:45  <juliangruber>we could make groups out of 2-3 people
20:08:42  <hij1nx>yeah, also, what timezone are you in ralphtheninja?
20:09:41  <ralphtheninja>I'm on CET
20:10:30  <hij1nx>oh yeh Linkoping, Sweden!
20:11:14  <ralphtheninja>aye :)
20:12:58  <hij1nx>ok, im going to email dominictarr
20:14:15  <hij1nx>we should divide up the talking points and assign them to people
20:14:45  <hij1nx>it would be cool to get a quick sound bite from Jeff Dean
20:14:57  <hij1nx>does anyone know him?
20:16:37  <hij1nx>woah, [email protected] :)
20:18:35  <juliangruber>nope
20:19:01  <juliangruber>but it would be awesome to have him for some words
20:20:15  <hij1nx>also Sanjay
20:21:47  <hij1nx>ok, i emailed them both
20:22:45  <juliangruber>I'm very curious whether they'll join
20:24:14  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
20:24:56  <hij1nx>does anyone have rodd's email? if they could message me that would be awesome i can add him to the email im sending dominic
20:26:06  <juliangruber>[email protected]
20:26:11  <juliangruber>says levelup's package.json
20:26:27  <hij1nx>ah, thats an awesome domain name
20:26:49  <juliangruber>worth picking a nickname for
20:27:31  <hij1nx>ok, i emailed rod and dominic
20:29:11  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
20:29:48  <juliangruber>i am excite!
20:36:06  * thatguydanquit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
20:37:13  * thatguydanjoined
20:37:58  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: https://github.com/isaacs/simple-protocol
20:38:08  <isaacs>ralphtheninja: npm.im/simple-protocol
20:45:50  * thatguydanquit (Quit: thatguydan)
20:54:23  * thatguydanjoined
20:54:50  * intabulasjoined
20:55:39  <ralphtheninja>isaacs: you're the man, I owe you a bottle of whiskey!
20:57:45  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
21:00:01  <ralphtheninja>god damnit, I should have the first star on that one! two got there before me :)
21:00:33  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
21:01:30  * thatguydanquit (Remote host closed the connection)
21:01:43  * thatguydanjoined
21:11:41  * thl0joined
21:13:07  <thl0>substack: new browserify.{add,require} seem to be broken for relative paths
21:13:28  <thl0>i.e. .add(require.resolve('./js/entry.js')) works
21:13:52  <thl0>i.e. .add('./js/entry.js') seems to require my entire index file a few levels up
21:14:01  <defunctzombie>thl0: yes
21:14:07  <defunctzombie>thl0: use full paths
21:14:13  <thl0>.require('./js/entry.js') blows up
21:14:15  <thl0>ok
21:14:24  <defunctzombie>thl0: also, .require(path, { entry: true }); is better :)
21:14:34  <defunctzombie>that is what .add will do anyway
21:14:34  <thl0>may need to add that to readme and/or rais proper error
21:14:40  <defunctzombie>yes
21:14:46  <defunctzombie>the error for not found files is not good
21:14:46  <thl0>ok will use that in my examples
21:14:52  <defunctzombie>can you open an issue?
21:15:14  <thl0>probably good idea to deprecate add altogether then
21:15:18  <thl0>I can
21:15:25  <thl0>and will ;)
21:15:43  <defunctzombie>thl0: I will ping substack about removing it from the docs, we won't remove the api for backwards compat reasons mostly
21:16:02  <defunctzombie>thl0: when v2 was first released .require was not as versatile
21:16:17  <defunctzombie>thl0: now, .require with the options will do lots of cool things
21:16:22  <thl0>well it used to be addEntry, so how would that help for backwards compat (or is it just for 2.x compat)?
21:16:32  <defunctzombie>thl0: 2.0 compat
21:16:41  <thl0>got it
21:18:35  * fotoveritejoined
21:20:30  * thatguydanquit (Quit: thatguydan)
21:22:47  <thl0>defunctzombie: https://github.com/substack/node-browserify/issues/307
21:22:48  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
21:34:31  * Correnjoined
21:35:36  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
21:36:07  <defunctzombie>thl0: nice
21:37:14  <thl0>resolving root from parent module would break cli though (since that would be browserify bin make the parent)
21:37:26  <thl0>so I guess full paths is best
21:37:50  <defunctzombie>thl0: full path is the only sane thing
21:37:51  * mikealjoined
21:38:14  <defunctzombie>there is a "basedir" option for .require but that is used for a different purpose
21:41:54  * evboguejoined
21:46:57  * Correnquit (Quit: Textual IRC Client: http://www.textualapp.com/)
21:53:58  <defunctzombie>why do things make themselves jquery plugins when they don't need jquery at all
22:01:22  * thatguydanjoined
22:04:41  * intabulasquit (Remote host closed the connection)
22:15:11  * thatguydan_joined
22:17:56  * thatguydanquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
22:17:56  * thatguydan_changed nick to thatguydan
22:23:11  * mikolalysenkojoined
22:28:41  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
22:31:14  * thatguydanquit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
22:34:46  * thatguydanjoined
22:37:18  * mikolalysenkojoined
22:42:01  * mikealquit (Quit: Leaving.)
23:02:59  * fotoveritequit (Quit: fotoverite)
23:05:39  * thl0quit (Remote host closed the connection)
23:05:46  * mikolaly1enkojoined
23:08:44  * mikolalysenkoquit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
23:11:27  <jez0990>just had a thought about a new conference... IronConf!
23:11:42  <jez0990>everybody brings an ironing board to a carpark, or field or something
23:11:50  <jez0990>instant standing desks everywhere
23:12:14  * mikealjoined
23:12:27  * mikolaly1enkoquit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
23:15:04  <Raynos>ralphtheninja: you know as much about level as I do
23:19:38  <ralphtheninja>Raynos: I seriously doubt that :)
23:19:52  <Raynos>Im not some kind of super person
23:19:54  <Raynos>that knows shit
23:20:01  <Raynos>I dont even use level in production
23:20:07  <ralphtheninja>never said you were either
23:20:12  * evboguequit
23:20:45  <Raynos>:D
23:27:21  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
23:37:09  * defunctzombie_zzchanged nick to defunctzombie
23:41:38  * on9joined
23:46:50  * defunctzombiechanged nick to defunctzombie_zz
23:48:22  * thatguydan_joined
23:50:32  <substack>defunctzombie_zz: I like .add()
23:50:59  * thatguydanquit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
23:52:54  * thatguydan_quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)